No permits required for houses less than 150 m2

on October 3, 2014

Many complaints arrive to the Ministry on a daily basis to ease the construction permit procedure for small houses in villages. On the other side, we have seen an increase in construction violations in these areas with the inability of fixing them and the failure to implement the Lebanese construction law.

To decrease the amount of paperwork that the government body is dealing with, the Ministry has implemented a new law that would allow the municipality or governing municipality or a unity of municipality to give out a Declaration for construction without going back to the authorities and offices of the governorate. This new procedure cuts drastically the paperwork and officials involved; it speeds up the process and is inexpensive.

The “construction permit” is given out for small houses as such:

  • Permit is provided for a one story house eligible for the person who ordered the permit or for his family only, however the area of the house should not exceed 150 m2 (Balconies, back walls are all included within the 150 m2)
  • Permit is provided for a floor to be built above a previously built house; however the height of both stories should not exceed 7m and should abide by the rules and regulations of the construction laws. If the area of the house is less than 150 m2 for each floor in a 2 floor house then additional rooms can be added until the area reaches 150 m2 on each floor and the additions should also abide to the constructions rules and laws.

Mechanism and conditions for giving the permit:

The provisions of this circular do not apply to areas within the jurisdiction of the districts, governorates and large cities(for more information on the areas that are not covered click on this link

Also they do not apply to all the real estates that are located west of the coastal highway from the boarder of  Nahr Al Awali to the boarder of Jisr Al Madfoon  and 1 km to the east of the highway. It does not apply as well to historical, touristic and agricultural areas that are listed within the municipalities.

Permit application should be handwritten and provided to the mayor within the municipality or the mayor outside the jurisdictions of the municipality. The application should include the following:

  • Name and Surname of the involved party
  • Address
  • The subject of the application
  • The number of the real estate, its boarders, area and the municipality to which it belongs to
  • A real estate permit  and a drawing of the real estate  from a licensed surveyor showing  the boarders as well as the area
  • If you are one of the partners of a real estate you need a Testimony for approval of construction from 75% of the shares of the partners and a testimony from the Notary allowing the construction on the real estate
  • Full commitment with the Notary by which the person will be fully responsible for all the damages and incidents that occur during construction
  • Official testimony from specialized governmental institutions regarding the official area of the real estate
  • Statement of the contents of the real estate

The person who is handling the permit application will provide the applicant with a receipt and the period for declaration of the permit goes as follows:

  • If the application is provided to the mayor directly then he should declare it within 25 days from the day of the registration of the application within the municipality
  • The declaration comes from the mayor who signs all the papers that are required
  • The permit is then given for 2 years and it is not renewable and construction should begin within these 2 years

This new law will surely increase constructions in the villages; will it affect the real estate market in the cities? This new law by passes the order of engineers, will these houses be safe structurally and against natural disasters? Some municipalities are still not accepting to follow this law, will they change their minds?

We would sure love to hear your comments on the subject.